Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Block and a Filler or Two

Well, last week was a write off, but back now to my regular twice weekly programming!! The last block of my improv quilt I will show is the wonky stars...


I love making wonky stars and these guys are easy. Start off by cutting out the centre square, outer rectangles and outer squares and laying them out on a piece of wadding. I couldn't find my photo of this step, so I've done up a little pic in publisher to show the idea...


Again in all of these blocks, the cutting is just done by eye and with scissors, however if you want to make sure the four outer rectangles and squares are similar sizes, just cut out one square first, then lay the square over three other fabrics and cut. Near enough is good enough, perfection isn't needed in improv blocks!


Now cut four squares larger than the outer squares, then cut them in half to make two triangles. These will become the star points.


Lay one triangle as shown over one of the outer rectangles and stitch along the long side of triangle from point to point. Press open. Repeat with the second triangle.

I'm using the mosaic maker 
from BigHugeLabs 
to make up these little mosaic pics

It's a good idea to trim off the waste fabric as you go...


Now the block is ready to assemble. Lay all the pieces back onto the wadding and sew from left to right in three rows.


Sew the three rows together and the block is done!!


Add a few strips of fabric, three more wonky star blocks and another big block is ready to go!


A Filler or Two:
When creating this type of improv quilt it's great to make up some filler blocks. These can be long, narrow blocks that might add a little length onto the bottom or side of another block. A couple I used here were very easy, the first one was simply a matter of taking lots of my offcuts and sewing them together...



...trim down it's and done!!


The other filler I made was a sweet little triangle block, again using up little offcuts of fabric. I began by cutting the triangles to a similar size....


and sewing together. They give a great jagged effect to the bottom of my churn dash blocks...


So that's it for today. Next time I will show how to put it all together. xo


12 comments:

Jodie said...

They look fantastic !

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Cathy! So inspiring again! I love your projects and this looks very exciting! Have a lovely day! x Teje

Stephanie said...

You do wonky so well. I think the colors are so appealing and it keeps your eyes moving with the placement of the colors.

carla said...

HI!!! Thank You!!! I have enjoyed and been inspired by your tutorials!!!

Nifty Quilts said...

Lots of fun liberated piecing here! Love your fabric choices. Looking forward to seeing it all put together.

Cardygirl said...

Looking good!

Susie said...

Your fabrics make this especially gorgeous.

Carla said...

Improv can be fun but hard too! Lovely blocks.

Charlotta said...

In my guild in Atlanta - the Atlanta Intown Quilters - we call the first kind of fillers you described - the ones you have where there's a piece of fabric with letters and a "no" printed in black on white - "Little Debbies." They were named for one of our members, Debbie Steinmann, who was the first one in our guild to start using them on a regular basis quite a few years ago!
Just a fun piece of trivia. Who knows, maybe the term will catch on and spread?

fiberchick said...

I love the black and white fabrics mixed in with all those chalky solids!

Sujata Shah said...

Ooooo... I love the colors! Your liberated stars are looking funky with those filler strips and pieces..Looking forward to it being all put together!

Archie the wonder dog said...

This looks like it was a lot of fun to make!