Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Another Improv block or two!

Following along from this mini tute, here are some step by step photo's showing how I put these blocks together to make my Oakshott cotton Improv quilt...

Square in a Square


To make my improv quilt blocks I used strips of fabrics and scissors.

Taking my middle fabric (black) I cut a rough square. Next I cut a second rough square, larger than my first one.


Taking the larger square I cut it diagonally twice to yield four triangles. The triangles were then placed around the centre square ready for sewing...


Taking the top and bottom triangles, I sewed them onto my centre square, then trimmed them to neaten and chop off those ears.


Repeat with remaining triangles, sewing them onto the centre square and trimming to neaten...and that's it, a square in a square block, so simple. 


Repeat with other fabric combo's. These were fun to make and I found I was able to strip piece them....


I made six of these square in a square blocks, then sewed them together and added on a couple of small fabric strips to one side and across the bottom. I was happy with how they looked just like that!


Pinwheel Blocks


These pinwheels ended up being a lot simpler than I initially thought they would be. I began with two squares cut the same size (lay the two fabrics together and cut once to yield two squares!).


Next, both squares were cut into quarters diagonally.


I then laid the triangles out on my scrap of wadding to make sure I had the layout correct. Taking a set of triangles (one blue and one white dot), I sewed them together, repeating with all four sets...


Taking each triangle unit I trimmed off the ears to neaten (and make sewing easier without those flappy ears in the way!)...


Next I sewed the top two triangle units together and repeated with the bottom two. Then sew the top unit to the bottom unit and the pinwheel is done!!


I repeated these steps four times to make four pinwheels. I sewed them together with a teeny strip of fabric up the middle...


...and added a few strips around the outside. A tad crooked, but it didn't matter when sewing into the larger quilt (putting the quilt together will be shown soon).


 Back on Sunday, see you soon. xo

3 comments:

Dee said...

Always, always love when your creative side bursts forth with such fun improvisational brilliance!

Glad to see you enjoying the process!

Stephanie said...

Always fun blocks and that oakshott is dreamy! :o)

Mojjo said...

Blocks like that are so fun!